Monday, June 15, 2009

Focus and Memorization

Students ask me how to memorize the voluminous subjects and topics a student must know in order to pass the bar. As we all know, we can read, read, read until we’re blue in the face and not remember a thing about what we read. If we remembered everything we read, all of us would be well prepared to take any bar in the country. Why can remember some things but not others? I think the first item to look at is our focus. You cannot memorize without first focusing on the materials you must learn.

Focus

If you are having trouble memorizing your materials, the problem is probably not with your memory, but rather your focus or, I should say, your lack of focus during your preparation.


Focusing means just that. Get rid of all your distractions. Leave the cell phone in the car, put the snacks away and focus on the materials at hand.

Use your study plan to figure out what you are to study for each day. Whatever topic you have in your study plan, break it down to manageable components to aid in your next step of memorization.


Memorization

There are two main approaches to memorization. You can use what is called the “memory hooks” or “repetition”. One of my students who, after failing the bar in July, refocused on her study techniques. For the February bar, which she passed, she used acronyms and mnemonics in order to memorize the concepts. If this works for you, try to use some memory hooks to jog your memory as your study.

For those who can’t seem to learn mnemonics or some type of memory hooks, try repetition. As someone once said, “repetition is the mother of skill”. You will have to just repeat the concepts over and over again. In this respect you can try flashcards, write out the concepts, or use a recording devise to help your repetition.

When I was studying for one of my bars, I got tapes of the lectures and used to get up and put it on as I was getting dressed, listened to the tapes in my car, listened to them over lunch and dinner, and, in general, when I wasn’t actually studying, I would be playing those tapes over and over again. I had effectively replaced all my music with the study tapes. So all those times I would have been listening to my favorite music, I was listening to lectures.

Remember what type of learner you are. If you are auditory, listen to the tapes. If you are visual, keep looking in those books.

Focus on memorizing in sections. Don't worry about mistakes too much unless they are the same ones. Refer back to your outline once in a while to make sure you aren't memorizing it wrong. If you get stuck at particular sections, focus on those the most.

Make sure that you conquer your focus and memorization skills. Work hard at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment